DJ Prefect (that's yours truly) came prepared with sources, dropping doses of science on the discussion to widen the frame. Find links to the books and articles referenced below.
A PODCAST of this event can be downloaded here. (1hr 45mins)
The Pirate Cat Radio Cafe was packed! Representatives from Berkeley, Noisebridge, Pirate Cat Radio, and many independents made their appearance.
Many thanks to all who gave donations, which go to support having more shows like this in future.
The End of Overeating Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite by David Kessler (from whence the Cinnabon example in this discussion).
Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely - watch the author's talk at TED 2009 about "our buggy moral code".
Culture Code by Clotaire Rapaille, expert marketing consultant to Fortune 500 companies.
Coffee versus Naps:
- Skip the Coffee, Power-Nap for 20 Minutes to Combat Afternoon Fatigue
- Naps, Learning, and REM by Jonah Lehrer PhD
- Naps FTW!!!
Food and/or Drug:
- Exorphins - opioid compounds created upon digestion of certain foods like wheat and dairy
- Don't be a Latte Fatty - the awful truth about your daily caffeine hit [UK Mail] (maybe it's time to start thinking of those lattes as meals in themselves...)
- Just Anticipating a Tasty Food Stimulates Brain Reward System [ScienceDaily]